Monday, April 28, 2008

Consider the Embedded Carbon Emissions

This message goes out to all radical environmentalists, please don't take this offensively, since I consider myself one of you as well, this also works as a reminder to me:

I understand that Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is one of our highest standards that we should follow and I'm sure that buying a super fancy clothes line does not fall under that moto.

I recently bought a clothes line from cordo clip, I could have bought the old school line with regular clothes pins (which by the way is almost as expensive), build some goal posts to hang the line up and done. My wife has loads of linen to dry and this one will really cut down on the time used to hang clothes and sheets up for drying.

Here's what I really want to point out though: Please support Canadian business'. The financial risk taken by a company in Canada is much higher than a Chinese business (because of much higher labour costs and taxation). Cordo Clip is made in Canada and such a product would usually come from China. This means, the carbon footprint to make this product is most likely smaller than something made in China. Also, we employ people locally and the product saves some serious energy when used (air drying your clothes saves almost as much energy as taking a car of the road).

So please consider the "embedded carbon emissions".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say that your support of this Canadian product is commendable. You would be pleased to note that the majority of the plastic product by weight is made from recycled nylon. This recycled plastic is used on the main structural parts with added fibre for structural strenght. The zinc mini winches are also made with recycled zinc and made in Canada.
Again thank you for your support.
Nick Sabelli inventor of this Cord-O-Clip Quattro Model.

Unknown said...

It's for sale on Eartheasy.com, here's the link: http://eartheasy.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=cordoclip75