Sunday, July 1, 2007

Coffee is kicking my ass


Hi there,

I just found some coffee at a store got my attention. Probably because the name kicks ass. It's actually called Kicking Horse, but there's a donkey on it and there's talk of Kick Ass Coffee. Very cool.

I'm always torn with coffee. As an environmentally sensitive individual, should we be buying any coffee at all? All the transport that causes lots of CO2 emissions, in fact the kick ass coffee is brought to BC, where they roast and package it. Then it goes on a long trip to Ontario (for all those who don't know: 3 681 km) until it reaches the store.

The label on the coffee states that it's a "Product of Canada", which does not mean that it's grown in Canada. I don't think coffee could actually grow in Canada. If it would I would buy it. According to an article on cbc.ca "Under current federal regulations, goods can be stamped with a "Product of Canada" label if 51 per cent of the production costs are Canadian." This would mean that roasting and packaging (+administrative cost, maybe even transport) would be +51% of the actual product. Interesting!

Don't get me wrong, I really love coffee, but I feel very convicted to have it. Well, at least Kicking Horse does a lot of good claims about themselves. "We can change the way the world thinks." Everything is rethinkable!

Cheers, lifting my cup of coffee for a toast.

No comments: